Website hacking is no more a new thing in our society; it is an evil we have come to realise that is real and accept. It can happen to anybody. As a small business man or even an ordinary website owner, you may think that your website is not worth anything until you get hacked and your business compromised. The evil of hacking is real and it has damaged so many businesses and send others packing. Hackers don't care about you. People of questionable character always try to gain access to thousands of websites on daily basis. If you have not been hacked yet, you are lucky and the only way you can stay same is by taking action today to make your website even more secured. Hackers are invisible and they are fast. As a business owner, you have an obligation to protect your clients' data at all cost. It is better to stay safe than try to undo harm caused by hackers. In most cases, you can never completely undo these harms once done. The best way is to take steps to prevent it from occurring. In this article, you will learn the best ways to protect yourself and your business from these online thieves. The steps below will help you stay safe from hackers;
1. Stay Updated Ensuring that your security softwares are constantly up-to-date is one of the best ways to stay safe from hackers. You need to ensure that your server operating system and even every other softwares you are running on your websites such as CMS or forum softwares are up to date. Hackers always look for loopholes in the softwares on your site to attack you.
2. Tighten Up Access Control This might seem very obvious but you would be surprise how careless people can be with their website access control. Don't ever make your username and password easy to guess. Hackers try to do words combination using a software to guess your password. It is advisable to use long password that makes meaningless combination of letters, numbers and figures, such as “W09#fhsr38q3@#kdgaWD". The admin level of your website is one of the most important aspects of your website. Ensure you keep it protected at all times and change your password every week.
3. Tighten Your Network Security If you use so many computers in your office, you may unknowingly be providing an easy access route to your website servers. Here is what you should do. Set your logins to expire and your computer locked after short period of inactivity Change password every week Use strong passwords and never write it down for any reason Plug all devices into the network that are constantly scanned for malware.
4. Hide Admin Pages It is always advisable to discourage search engine from indexing your admin pages. You can do this using the robots_txt file. It will be harder for hackers to randomly find your admin page when they are not indexed.
5. Install a Web Application Firewall Never depend only on the default security system that comes with your website. This is what every other person is using and easy to get hacked. Ensure you install a web application firewall (WAF) to make your website more secured. WAF is set between your website server and the data connection; it reads every bit of data passing through it. You can use this application to detect unsafe data. A WAF application will provide you with some levels of peace of mind by blocking most of hacking attempts and unwanted traffic such as malicious bots.
6. Use SSL Most serious website owners who are concerned about the security of their server always use SSL protocol. An SSL protocol will prevent the information being read in transit. It will also prevent your website data being accessed without proper authorization.
7. Get a Vulnerability Report This is perhaps, the best way to protect yourself from hackers. Vulnerability report makes a summary of all other points. Here, a professional will use the same sophisticated tools use by hackers to scan your website to find loopholes and vulnerabilities. The aim of this is to discover ways hackers can use to hack your website. After the scanning of your website, you will receive report and recommendations on how to protect your website.
It is recommended that you check your website vulnerabilities at least once a month. It is your responsibility to keep your clients' information safe on your server. Get a vulnerability report to know how expose you are to hackers. With recommendation from experts, you will know exactly which security tools to invest your money on instead of guessing. You will know how to protect and keep your website safe. Indeed, getting a vulnerability report is the best way to ensure you never get hacked. Click Here to Get Vulnerability Report